Posted in Animation Studio

Week 2: composition and perspective

This week’s focus was on composition and perspective.

homework:

The lecture videos about perspective specifically were really helpful to me as I understand and can use basic composition pretty well but utilising perspective is still a struggle. Drawing the perspective lines over preexisting media was tricky as in most animation I like when the characters take up most of the frame so it can be hard to try to draw the background perspective lines.

Then we had to take what we learnt from the previous task to design thumbnails based off the ideas our groups came up with

The idea we ended up agreeing to go with was the time-loop high school as we believed it would allow for the animation to flow from one to another.

in class

I ended up being one of the people that moved group. I wanted to talk to new people and see what ideas other groups had. my new groups idea was very intricate and complicated. I mentioned how the final animation would be about one minute long and we would have to animate it all in the end. so the groups idea went from a very complicated sequence of a food delivery boy being chased by a dragon during the apocalypse to an Indiana jones style action scene of the protagonist stealing the dragon’s egg.

I definitely found this week to be more challenging as getting used to another group dynamic was tricky to navigate. some wanted to do more extreme gore which I am very uncomfortable with and I was finding it more challenging to feel like I was being listened to and taken into account when I brought up my aversion to said gore.

I also did this very rough sketch of how the cave will look while considering composition and perspective. I may go back and refine this in the future.

These sketches were inspired by the photos below.

I think this style of environment will be better than a plain desert as there is more shapes to lead the eye across the landscape.