Vertical Slice Project – Week 3 & 4

I wasn’t able to be in for the presentation on week 3 but I still had all my slides done and ready to showcase what I’d been doing.

We ended up going with Alex’s character design with the glowing hair, which was obviously incredibly disappointing for me as I had really wanted to try sculpting a character again, but overall it’s understandable as it’s a group project and everyone can’t do everything they want to. I also think Alex had focused more on the overall design and not just the clothes as well as going down the more cyborg route which fit our game well.

Concepts for Models

We all spent a little too much time on concepts for the models, and not actually moving on to making them. We also added more models to the updated asset list, which Alex had moved into an Excel spreadsheet for convenience.

Team Communication

My team were very helpful in keeping me up-to-date after I missed days, as I would put a message in asking for someone to update me on what happened and they’s give me all the information and feedback we got.

Ryan had uploaded my first few models for me into the project as I didn’t understand github and was still more focused on creating models than uploading them. He was very helpful and I had to fix the models as I’d forgotten to combine the first model we uploaded and then I’d sent him the wrong fbx with the wrong UV maps so I had to fix that. So it was trial and error but we got there in the end.

I wanted to be able to upload them myself as well, instead of bothering him every time, as well as wanting to try my hand at creating more complex materials inside unreal in the game. So Alex and Conall were both very helpful for me in trying to understand how to use Github, as Alex recorded me a video on it as a visual and walkthrough example and Conall answered all of my questions as I was worried about breaking things in the game.

Week 6 Presentation

Week 11 Presentation