Vertical Slice Project – Animating Textures

Death Wall

I followed along with this tutorial to try and make the death wall textures the way I had been imagining them to be. I’m enjoying trying to make more detailed materials in Unreal using the nodes, It’s complicated but very fun. I think following along with this really helped me with understanding more about how different nodes work and where to use them.

The Artstation Link

Animated Billboard Sign

I wanted to try and make some animated textures after messing with the death wall one, so I was looking at different types of signs that exist and thought I could try making one based off of LED light signs. I got Henry’s help with how to make the textures move in the way I was thinking of, as he explained what the nodes do and helped me fix it when it was leaving trails behind itself. (by changing the blend mode to translucent.)

Billboard

This was the texture used to make the glitch pattern, saved from the video tutorials.

Conall asked me to create a billboard model for his level in the game, with two textures; one red and one blue, so it could switch between them when the player triggers the mechanism.

This is the image he gave me as a reference asking if I could make it glitch like that, which I tried with the bard but couldn’t figure out how to change the colours of them. I think I might go back if I have time and make the actual textures of the billboard screen more complicated as I feel like it’s quite simple right now.

I really like the fact I was able to make the texture glitch like that though and I’m happy I put some time into trying to learn more about materials and nodes in Unreal.

These are the video I watched that helped me create the final product. There were some other videos that were used for testing and other versions I didn’t like as much.