Magic Staff – Scythe and Lance Form Creation

Scythe Form

For creating the scythe form I needed to separate the arc of the staff to get two gaps which the blades of the scythe would come from. This required some deleting of faces and the extrusion of the leftover faces to create some sort of usable form. I think the arc sections looks alright, however part of me thinks that I should have rotated the top section so the bigger end was facing the bigger blade, but I decided against it as it would comprimise the sizing from the original arc. I also rotated the crystal to make it look like the source of the blades power. Also I think it looks more appealing having the blades, crystal, and circles all in a line. Another change is the pistons. I extended the pistons as I thought that it would make it seem like a mechanical release of magic power.

These are the textures that I used for the scythe form. From the Nazcaan Script, this time the letters should spell the word scythe. Interestingly, the Nazcaan Script has a symbol for the combination of the letters ‘t’ and ‘h’ which is ‘th’. As the word scythe contains ‘th’ it stands to reason that I should have used the corrisponding symbol, however this is not what I did. I instead used the singlar symbols that is has for the ‘t’ and ‘h’ respectively. I did this as I didn’t want to fully follow the game’s rules for the script.

Lance Form

The Lance form was difficult create in some areas and not in other areas. I started off with the arc. This was simple, as I really just deleted the main half of arc leaving the last section of the arc and the bottom section. I duplicated these sections and then rotated them to make a symetrical frame for the blades of the lance. The two side blades were easy enough to create, but the top took a bit more effort. I restorted to using the booleans difference function to create the gaps in the top blade. After that I then moved one of the pistons over the the right side of the lance in order to keep the symetrical appeal to the form.

Next up was to open the bottom part of the hilt and move the magic circles to create the look of a thruster. Lances are weapons that are typically thrown so this helps with that aspect. I think this was the most difficult part of the lance form to create as I split the bottom into three sections and it was difficult the get them lined up properly and angled right. I think I got it to look well enough and it really helps with the whole look of the lance.

These are the textures I used for the Lance form. The Nazcaan Script this time spells out the word lance in keeping with the theme of the others. I put the sphere texture in a straight line this time as I really wanted to keep things in a symetrical pattern which I think suits the lance form very well.

Scythe Staff and Lance Models

I’m really happy that I decided to go with this idea. It has been fun and I love seeing all three forms together.