Tools Used:

• Clip Studio Paint (Concept Art)

• Pencil & Sketchbook (Initial Concept Design Art)

• Youtube (Tutorials & References)

Sync Sketch Link: https://syncsketch.com/sketch/Mjg1YTAzMTI5/

Character Design:

Concept Design:

Final Design:

Walk Cycle (12fps)

For my walk cycle I wanted to experiment with the idea of having the brain and eyes react as a secondary action, along side the main action of the walk itself. Idea for the secondary action came from the standard bouncing ball exercises. When making this I heavily relied on pages 102-116 of The Animator’s Survival Kit, to get the timing and positions right. The Animator’s Survival Kit was particular helpful when I ran into the issue of irregular timing in the animation due nature of dividing in-betweens within 12 frames.

Run Cycle (8fps):

For my run cycle I wanted to carry on with the ideas I used in the walk cycle. For the secondary action I was inspired by the movements you would get from franticly playing with a paddle ball, I was attempt to use it to show how fast and forceful the run is. Again, I referenced pages 102-116 of The Animator’s Survival Kit for help, as well as a Youtube video on run cycles that helped my with my positions.

Body Mechanics (12 Frames):

For my body mechanics I wanted the heavy machine nature of the character to come across in the animation for the sake of visual interest. When the character landed the jump their legs sunk into their torso before springing back out like releasing a bound spring. This animation had me playing more with the tube/cylinder body of the character to a overall greater effect then the last two animations. For the jump positioning and timing I referenced pages 212-215 The Animator’s Survival Kit, which was of great help. Out of all my animations I’m happy how this one turned out, if I had more time and feedback I could’ve refined these more.

References: