Week 5- basket ball

For the last exercise we where asked to do a character shooting a ball into a hoop, this exercise was a challenge since we had to do a character interacting with an object and animating them both separately from each other. I looked at a lot of videos of basketball players and I think I ended up finding a video of Le Bron shooting a hoop that would work pretty well as a reference for my animation, I put in the key frames and and added the timing, I found it fun trying to figure out how the characters arms world move while she was dribbling the ball, I used my alien character from my run cycle for this exercise since I wanted to try a more stylised character with different proportions.

ref video-

Really rough-

Cleaned –

when I showed Mike my animation he gave me advice on the big where she is throwing the ball, he said I could make it more impactful and sell the motion more so I added another frame of her with the ball slightly over her head reeling back to throw it.I am happier with this version of my animation –

A hard part of the this exercise I think was while animating my character mooning after she had thrown the ball, having the ball move independently and trying to figure out the best way to do that so it wouldn’t look strange and timed weirdly. I had lots of fun trying to figure out the secondary animation physics of her hair as she jumped up and then came back down ,moving side to side.