Apollo 11 Manual

The third book I borrowed from the library was titled ‘Apollo 11 Manual: An Insight into the Hardware from the First Manned Mission to Land on the Moon’ by Christopher Riley.

The page begins with a photo of an Apollo rocket with a quote on why the Apollo space program was significant. I believe this could also act as an effective opening for my site, perhaps beginning with a quote that sets the stage.

Images are placed in collage grids to show the variation in Apollo crafts or to show the launch sequence of an Apollo rocket. I like how these are laid out, and I could incorporate this into my site with each image placed in a grid format. The user could then hover over each image, and it would reveal a caption. I could use these grid layouts to convey the Apollo launch sequence or to show all the different types of Apollo rockets.

I also like these pages that include diagrams of the Apollo command module and the Saturn V, with information on its three stages. This information could be conveyed visually through data tables or Lottie animations to make it more engaging and interactive.

Some images in the book are displayed in film reel grids, to convey them as frames from footage. In my own site, I could display images in this way – especially for the silver screen section which will contain information on Apollo 11 related films.

I like the photos in this book of live TV camera footage of the Apollo 11 transmission. This glitchy effect with scanlines is something I could overlay on top of the imagery in my site to establish an atmospheric mood.

The closing chapter of this book also has an effective ending paragraph that I could include in my own site as a conclusion. The previous book I had looked at also contained an effective closing chapter, so I could mix and match paragraphs from each to combine and create the best version.

I had also borrowed another Nasa manual on the Saturn V, but it didn’t contain much visual inspiration that I could use in my own site. However, I did like this cross-section diagram of the Saturn V. As my site will use a black background, this kind of imagery, with the white lettering, is something I will probably use a lot in my site.