IXD301 – Element Project Idea Generation – Brainstorming & Mind Mapping Ideas

Optional Choice Teenagers or Children?

What have I picked Children?

I have stood on this question for a short while – figuring what pathways I could take for either children or teenagers. Since Kyle announced this deliverable, I have been swaying towards creating this project for children as it can be seen by me as the most fun, vibrant and exhilarating route to go (Not to mention the age group 8 – 10 is a very unique and defined group apposed to 18 – 20-year-olds). Since I started this course I’ve been always designing for my age and over; so for the sake of a challenge I feel like the best possible route is for me to pick the 8  to 10-year-olds. Additionally, allowing me to study this group should make me more prepared to design for children if similar scenarios come up in the future.

After looking at some prime examples Kyle showed us, especially “Metal Monsters” by Gemma Ferguson I had a clear-cut idea in my head what I wanted to do. Although, before I rush into my decision I must pave and look at multiple routes I can take for my app.

My first thought was what device can I make my project on. After looking at how many schools are using tablets nowadays and most of my nephews and nieces loved playing Roblox, etc on their tablets I decided to pick that device module.

Buzzword Idea Generation:

To begin the first process of project creating I went to my whiteboard and wrote all of my ideas done. My most prominent idea was the first one; a digital storybook for children. I had so many concepts and methods of implementation for this particular idea as I love telling a story whether that be through designs, animations, etc. This idea really appealed to me. After annexing many posted notes I decided to define all my notes in a neat and orderly structure. This was very helpful to me as it allowed me to pick and choose from all the weak notes/ideas thus ultimately strengthing my intended vision. I really enjoyed this approach as it was extremely beneficial to me in order to explore, examine and determine all different ideas and concepts of my app. It has allowed me to get straight to the point and create a strong mental vision inside my head.

Mind Mapping Ideas:

While furthering my ideas and additionally keeping alternative ideas close at hand I decided to create a more defined mindmap to plot down everything from artistic direction to the narrative of my intended project in order to better understand it.

After thoroughly mapping my ideas on Miro I will stay with my initial idea and pick a digital E-Book for my Elemental Project as I have so many strong ideas for it because many of the other ideas I feel like it will just be a ‘use once then abandon it’ type idea (besides the gameboard.) I found that mind mapping my ideas on Miro is crucial to me in better understanding and formally documenting my intended process of implementation and setting. It has also greatly benefited me as I began to think of new ideas and features that my app should include.

What does my idea involve? 

I want to create a digital tablet application that allows people to explore and connect with each elemental character, learn their backstory and read a comic styled book on each element with the addition of a mini-game at the end (overview of what they have learned and engage) to either give the user digital currency (earn through completing mini-games) to buy new gear for their own personal elemental character. *Or instead of currency gear can be unlocked through a level progression of completing stories/mini-games*. The main psychology of this is engaging and “trapping” the user in a loop. This means for a user to unlock achievements and customize their own character they have to go through a learning process.

A more in-depth look 

After completing a variety of competitor analyses on all three platforms – e-books, videos & mobile/tablet apps I came back and created a new mindmap on Miro with an overall stronger vision and more ideas. I decided to break down all the vital parts of my app and look at each way I can implement and add to it.

Since I have created this Miro, I am fully confident in what my end vision is. I want to make a diverse learning tool to teach kids about the elements through visual learning and progression.

How has this helped me?

Firstly, buzzword brainstorming is very helpful to capture and prevent sudden ideas fly out of my head, it also allows me to quickly organize, arrange and structure them accordingly with the addition of them acting as a verbal note. Without this, my ideas will be potentially skewed thus ultimately leading to a weaker vision/potential product. On another note, these mind maps have been extremely important in my idea generation process and validating my vision by helping me group and band ideas with the addition of expanding on them too.

What happens now? 

Since I have the ideas and vision I will now begin the structuring/building stage of my tablet app which includes wireframing, flowcharting and character design/sketching. I am deeply inspired by the artistic direction of “Dumb Ways to Die” (Without the killing part) and want to go down this path of simplistic yet striking characters.