This week, to enhance group communication skills, and allow us to better decide our final ‘world’ choice, the groups were shuffled, with two members, Max and Ellie leaving, and our group joined by Gabriel and Owen.

Our task was to think about the genre, atmosphere, colours, mood and emotion we would like our ‘world’ to convey, and for our homework assignment, to each create two mood boards that reflect this vision. Here’s my first, based on our ‘Halloween Bar’ theme paying homage to the iconic Hammer Horror movie genre: mist rising through the skeletal fingers of trees, the silhouette of a spooky building against a harvest moon, archetypical characters (Dracula, Frankenstein and his Bride, the Mummy), and ideas for not just an arachnid bouncer, but a fusion of creatures – all elements I would love to, in some way, incorporate into my animation.

With no definitive style pinned down either during our session or over Discord, my other mood boards, based around my interior thumbnails, possible props, and exterior shots of Batllo House in Barcelona, cover both a more modern and medieval theme.

While the assignment had only asked me to complete two mood boards, and it took additional work and time, I created significantly more in the hope that the team might see something they like which would spur them into making a final decision, and searching for inspiration for my animations is something I enjoy.