This Month’s Overview

This is the second month of my major project and should be the month in which I have most, if not all of my pre-production completed.  Once my tutors give me the go-ahead I will be commencing production on the actual project.

Finishing Pre-Vis.

The most time consuming work for this month was finishing the pre-vis.  Compared to last month I still feel concerned in relation to the pre-vis as the method I worked on to complete it seems counter-intuitive.  However as this is only a test animation to check if the final timings and motions of the animation can work without me having to retrace my steps and solving the problem during the production of the actual animation I fully understand the process.  I have uploaded my work to YouTube for easy access and storage of this record.

Complete Pre-Vis Animation:

Completing Attractor’s turn around

As stated previously I did not complete all my turnarounds however I did complete Attractors.  Overall I am satisfied with how this turn-around came out however whilst his gear is different sizes on the sheet (not to scale) my reasoning for that is that I am going to adapt their size to fit the model when it is completed in Maya.

Attractor’s Turn around Images

2nd Presentation

This is my second presentation for this project that will pitch all my pre-production material for approval and feedback from my tutors in order to enter production.  I will not go over it too much, since on its own it adds little to the production in this blog and my tutors gave me the OK to proceed to production.   I did receive some minor feedback in relation to my readability of the characters but for the most part I would clean that aspect up during the final product where I apply everyone’s designs and visual effects.  However just in case, during my animation when a character is first introduced, I will slow down time or freeze frame in order to add a brief tag line stating who they are and what powers they possess.  As with last time due to size issues this presentation can not be uploaded.

Setting up Checklist

At this point I would be beginning production however I have learned many times over to produce a checklist to keep track my future tasks.  Normally in a group context I be using Trello, the website you use to manage team tasks online, but as I am working on this as an individual creator it is not required and a standard checklist was sufficient.  Due to the nature and size of the task I decided to create four separate checklists.

1. 3D Model checklist will assist me in keeping track of the models I need to create, texture and rig.  Most of these will be created using a mixture of Maya, Blender and Substance Painter.  Because the character riggings can become complex, I will require assistance from my tutors in this section of the assignment.
    2. Maya Scene Guide will come later into my production schedule but it will guide me through each scene I will make and which ones will require animation in a separate Maya File.
    3. Sound List is very different from the rest of my work in that it is the only element not created by the animation students.  Instead the Sound Design students will create the sounds for us as part of their assignment.  While the requests are not open yet, I would still complete this list to make sure I have an idea of all the sounds I require, and so when submissions are open I can pass the details to the sound student along with some concept art.
    4. VFX and Extra List includes any miscellaneous works that may be too few to be included in their own list but still need recorded as they are essential to the overall animation.

Links to Checklist

Starting on 3D Assets

(Disclaimer: due to time delays all screen shots are taken after the modals are complete and fixed up in December and January.)

Because of the length of time to complete the pre-vis section I did not have that much time to begin full production on my actual 3D assets but I am still on schedule as this was an attempt by me to get an early start on the overall final animation.  There is not much to go over at this time as I was only creating simple scene decorations and the ‘McGuffin’ (i.e: the purple canister) in Maya.  Their UVs were not difficult due to the simplicity of the models, however as of next month when I go fully into production I will have much more to speak about and demonstrate, but coincidentally it may also be when problems begin to arise.

Screenshot

For Next Month

Next month I should be launching straight into production and with Christmas on the horizon I have a lot to complete before the term ends.  I should have all my 3D assets (non characters and environments) completed and fully textured.  I should have most of my environments completed and textured.  I believe however the outside of the building will require additional time and work).  On top of that I will begin modelling texturing and rigging my 3D characters but I as I am not as well versed in organic modelling that might take up to three months to complete.  I am confident I should get most of the work done but with my dissertation deadline coming closer and with December’s disruptions I will keep a close eye on my time.