This Week’s Overview

For this weeks activities I created four new models, started to improve my substance textures to better fit the games’ art style and created the audio for the enemies .

Creating new Assets

For this weeks model making I created four brand new assets, the mushroom seen below as well as a stone cross, a well and a wooden chair which can be seen in the screenshots for the texturing. With these models complete I concluded that the model making section of this Assignment has come to an end for me. I’ve already created a lot of models and with the end of year looming, I should be moving on to finishing each of my assets. I continued to keep my time open in case anyone else needed my help or I had to back and fix some of my work.

Fixing the Log Cabin

One element that came up through this weeks meeting was that Tish said the log cabin was too straight with its log placements and this didn’t fit in with the time period due to everything being handmade rather than factory produced. So I returned to this model and readjusted the log sizes, positioning them to look more like they are tied together and they weren’t uniform in size or machine made.  Along with this I also added a new material type to the end of each log to represent the inside rings, this benefits the overall model to as it appears to be more colorful and closer to an actual cut log.

Updating the Substance Painter

With a better idea of what the overall environment looks like, having seen the demo build of the game, I was able to start improving my textures. This would make for a more cohesive look. Because hand painting textures are not my greatest strength, I created more cartoon like art, by increasing the strength of the colours, and removing any effects that would be more realistic like, dust on the wood. Whilst, not perfect, it worked well and it would easily fit within the games updated visual style.  For the School house, I went a step further and on one of its walls I created a painting of a wolf which looks like a drawing made by children.

Audio Creations

Along with my model and texture creations, I also accomplished another assignment for our game. We hadn’t had much communication with the sound team so each of us was to find backup audio in case they couldn’t deliver on their end. I wanted to do the audio for both the daemons and the boss monster.  So using both my computer’s inbuilt recorder and Adobe Premiere Pro, I recorded my own voice (I had a glass of water beside me for safety reasons so I didn’t ruin my throat) and edited it to sound more otherworldly and horrifying. Both the daemons and the boss monster consisted of reversed audio, slowed down, combined with a slightly delayed second version of the recording, at a different pitch to give a starving distortion to it. The difference between the two is that the demons had a lighter voice pitch shifted up, while the boss monster had pitch shift down, an echo effect and an additional repeated track. When I played both tracks to my team, Aaron was horrified at the result, but very happy with it and we decided that we would use It. It would be the primary audio for both the demons and the monsters instead of what the sound students would make when they came back to us. I have uploaded both sounds to YouTube under my channel for preservation.

I should mention that while I was halfway creating the Daemon audio, I was reminded of SHODAN from the video game franchise, System Shock. Her/their audio is corrupted and repeats her/their dialog a second or two out of sync (sometimes even before the line is properly spoken).  You never feel comfortable around her and she/they seem to come from another more disturbing world that we don’t understand. A perfect example for the audio I wanted to create.

YouTube Links for:

• Daemons

• Boss / Monster