Ixd103 Week7: Brand guidelines research task

During this weeks lecture time we were given the task of choosing a brand we like and compiling brand guidelines for it, as a means of practice before we start compiling our own.

For this I chose my one of my favourite brands, Nintendo. I had already established things like their values and tone of voice in my content audit on them in week one. Knowing these things already just makes this task a bit easier and less time consuming for myself.

I’m going to focus my attention on Nintendo of America this time. Not that there is a whole lot of difference in their presentation across the globe, there is still some slight differences so this just makes things less complicated.

Nintendo

Brand Story

Here’s what they say verbatim:

“Nintendo’s mission is to put smiles on the faces of everyone we touch. We do so by creating   new surprises for people across the world to enjoy together. We’ve forged our own path since 1889, when we began making hanafuda playing cards in Kyoto, Japan. Today, we’re fortunate to be able to share our characters, ideas and worlds through the medium of video games and the entertainment industry.

Nintendo of America, established in 1980 and based in Redmond, Wash., is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nintendo Co., Ltd. We are committed to delivering best-in-class products and services to our customers and to investing in the well-being of our employees as part of the global Nintendo family.”

Mission and Values

I think they’ve made it clear that their main mission is putting smiles on peoples faces. Nintendo’s core values include flexibility, uniqueness, sincerity and honesty.

Tone of voice

As I’ve said before in my content audit, Nintendo’s raison d’être is bringing smiles to people’s faces with their unique, fun and challenging, family-friendly gaming experiences. This is why it makes perfect sense that their tone is usually casual and up-lifting. The playful, colourful but strategic language they use when advertising new games, consoles, features etc. lends to this tone. As I mentioned before, they use personal pronouns and exclamations to make you feel as though they are a close friend, this leans them into a more friendly and intimate tone as well.

Brand Dictionary

Nintendo mission is to bring smiles to everyone’s faces with their games. The jargon and terminology they use to communicate with consumers is very much in keeping with that.When advertising new games, consoles, features, updates etc. be on their websites, socials, emails, brochures etc. They like to use fun and playful jargon and calls to action that usually relates to what they are advertising. Like I mentioned in my content audit, I got an email advertising the new Monster Hunter Rise game where they said ” Rise to the challenge and join the hunt!”.  I think that these kind of calls to action are far more engaging and enticing than just simply saying “New game, buy now”.

They really like to add exclamation marks at the end of their sentences and this combined with a use of personal pronouns makes it almost as though they are a good friend of yours, enthusiastically recommending something they think you’ll like a lot. Although some people may not appreciate this, I think it’s really fun and engaging and brings a smile to my face which is what they want.

I suppose with all this, you could say that their ‘don’t’ when it comes to their voice is to never come off as cold or overly serious when communicating with consumers. Essentially, always try to keep things friendly, light-hearted and energetic.

Logo

The font used in the logo is Pretendo. The logo features a ‘racetrack’ outline as seen above. A big ‘don’t’ is removing this outline. I’m going to assume based on my observation that other don’ts include skewing height or width of the logo and adding other elements to this already established combination.

For colour, the preferred way of displaying the logo for web, retail and advertising in particular is white logotype and racetrack on a red back ground.

When having a red background is not optional or practical the logo is to be displayed in grey or black. If the background is white, a grey logo is preferred. The black logo is usually utilised if the background isn’t white and a darker logo is necessary for contrast. There is some basis in greyscale for this I think.

I think the biggest dont’s are to not fill inside the racetrack with any colour (essentially no white-fill) and don’t put the logo in red or any colour that isn’t on the greyscale it seems for that matter. Also, the racetrack and logotype must always match in colour and red on black is strictly forbidden.

Imagery

Nintendo’s imagery mostly consists of game footage, photos, videos and art that were made by/for and belong to them. All images are of high quality and must be displayed in a high resolution and with no distortions.