IXD103 Wk5:- Colour Consideration

This week I began considering the colours that I could use for my personal brand.

I started off by writing all the colours that I was considering using. Which were blue, purple, orange, green, black, white and gold. These were all colours that I felt drawn to and I felt could be good colours to represent my brand.

Once I had all my colour options listed I decided that I didn’t want to use the colour gold because even though it is a nice colour I felt that it would be too formal/fancy for my brand and does not match my tone of voice. I also decided that I would not choose white or black for my main colour but would instead use one of them for my secondary or tertiary colour choice for things such as body text on my portfolio website etc. I also decided that I did not want to use white or black because I wanted to push myself in terms of colour experimentation as I am still trying to develop my colour skills further and if I used white and black, I would feel as if I was using my safety colours and not really pushing myself.

I also had some tapes at home with colour combinations that I liked so I decided to add it to the page for inspiration.

I then researched what each of my remainder colours meant and what they may signify about my brand to others. I discovered that green signifies – generosity, new beginnings, optimism, harmony etc. While purple signifies – power, mystery, royalty, magic, wisdom etc. Blue signifies – confidence, knowledge, calm, professionalism etc. Lastly orange signifies – energy, cheerfulness, ideas, creativity etc.

With all of this to consider, I began thinking about which colour to choose and I decided to go with blue.

Next I had to choose the shade

I chose a bunch of different shades of blue that I liked and I tested them with my wordmark and monogram

I then chose the shade of blue that I wanted (3871B8)

Even thought I liked the colour that I had chosen after a while the colour didn’t feel like my brand so I decided to change it.

I used a colour scheme creator to help me think of a new colour scheme for my brand

This was my chosen colour scheme

I was advised during a feedback session that I could cut down my selected colours and only have three instead of five . Also that the green colour could be removed and the greyish white could be lightened.

My new main colour (7294CD)

My new secondary colours.

I feel that my new colour scheme represents my brand a lot better and it helps add consistency to it