Week 1, Animate Frosty

Overview

So, for the first week of the animation 3D course, I was given the task to model a custom snowman in blender and also to give him a small animation of him bending from side to side. Following the step-by-step videos made this task pretty easy to execute, even though I had never used blender before in my life; I understood what I needed to do to get the model I needed for this assignment.

One piece of the assignment which I struggled with the most (and still continue to struggle with 3 weeks later) is the actual rendering of the animation, at first, I struggled with lining the camera up but when I eventually managed to settle on a moving camera for my snowman render, I couldn’t figure out how to light the render-as you can probably tell from the darkness of the above video. Lighting is something I don’t understand and while you can still see the movement in the video, I know it ruins the effect of the piece that it is so dark.

Everything I did for this week was all new to me as I was entirely new to using blender and it didn’t help that I was forced to isolate over the first class of this course due to contracting covid the previous week however the videos on the blackboard uploaded by our lecturer for the class were so in depth and detailed that it was easy enough to follow along with and before I knew it I was staring at a modelled snowman on my laptop screen which I was pretty proud of.

Final Thoughts

Overall, I was pretty happy with how simple and easy this task was to complete and despite my struggles with rendering the animation I’m still pretty proud of how it came out, one thing I must add is that I would have had more images of the model inside of blender so you could see it properly with the bright colours etc. but unfortunately, I lost the original blender model file and only have the render file which still is no better… I will have other pictures of future assignment models posted on those posts as I will take care to keep the original file as well as the rendered one.