Walks With Personality (Week 3)

In week 3 we had some activities to practise a bit on the walking part where we saw different walking personalities

2D Walk:

With the parts of drawing and understanding the frames to animate my character, I had a lot of difficulties where I couldn’t get the animation right. On the first attempts I made my character walk backwards and on the second I made him make some wrong movements with his feet.

To help me, I had to use the book The Animation’s Survival Kit, which helped me to produce the frames and also helped me a little to see the visual part of the movements that a character makes that we don’t already see in the full animation.

3D Snooty Walk:

I didn’t find it so difficult to make my character walk in 3D, in fact I found it a little easier even though I know I have to practise more.

With 3D I had more fun and at the same time I had to concentrate more on Snow. To help me with the guide I used an animation book which I had to read and pay close attention to the movements I was going to make. As for animating the movements of the legs, it wasn’t too complicated to make the movements, but in my opinion where I got a bit confused was with the graphic, which I have to practise more to understand its functions!

But with the help of tutorials offered on blackboard, I was able to understand the functions better.

Sneak Walk Cycle:

For the ‘Walk Personality’ process I tried to make different types of walking so I did the Sneak Cycle style to walk and look fun. It took a long time to make the character’s legs, but after a few tutorials and guides with images I was able to understand it better.

Feedback:

After having made some details in the animation without having finished it completely, I sent a little of my progress to my tutor so that he could help me see how Snow’s progress is going and if I need to change anything in the movements.

Tutorial & Reference:

To help me with my movements, I tried to find some styles of walking in parts of books and also in short videos, and I was inspired by the style of walking in a children’s series called ‘The Pink Panther’, where it’s very fun and relaxed. I also tried to look for other references to help with the animation, and managed to find some good references to help with the sneak cycle and a website that also helped me.