Within this blog I will include the research I have conducted so far with my inspiration into typography and my connection to the space program. And also I have include my chosen typeface and my process of finding my finalised header and body text typeface.

Typography Considerations:

For my typography choices I have used Pinterest and Dribble mostly to gather my inspiration mainly because this is the only source so far I have been able to find consistent typefaces around my aimed theme. I am looking closely at bring a comic/newspaper like theme to this project and have been keeping focus on comic books and old 60’s newspaper typefaces I could consider. With this I have also looked into the fonts and typefaces that are in connection to the Apollo projects, the space program and Nasa and have been on the search for comic books on eBay to see if I can purchase some cheap copies of old 60 comic that are space related and the same with newspapers but so far I haven’t found any that are in my price range to purchase. My next goal is to try some carboot sales and local comic stores to see if I can find any around this theme to grab inspiration from.

Pinterest post inspiration - https://www.pinterest.co.uk/bri17113103/space-apollo-project/
Dribble post inspiration - https://dribbble.com/slbriers/collections/5494179-Apollo-Project

Milanote

To group my favourite typography choices then I place these into my digital moodboard using Milanote to keep the typography inspiration that I discovered using Pinterest and Dribble organised,

Milanote Typography link - https://app.milanote.com/1NfmGb16OOWjGI/typography?p=Lg8DG4tt3zA

Typeface selection

Once I had made the decision on some typography choices in terms of what I could use best for header text and body text I moved over to illustrator to create some mockup text of the downloadable fonts and began combining these together and showcasing different forms of how to the fonts would be used in terms of size, weight and capitalisation.

Altogether I found 7 typefaces that I thought would work well for this project as my main header found. When I was search for fonts that caught my eyes I know I am aiming to go down the comic/newspaper route for my art direction to I have tried to gather fonts that are thick and bold that could be used as main headers across my site. By using illustrator I was able to define the fonts further by showcasing different sizes and weights of each font and how they would look capitalised.

Now that I completed my selection for my header typefaces I went through the typefaces I have on my illustrator and tried to match the header typefaces above with some body font that I could use as body text.

At this stage I have a range of Header typefaces and body typefaces to work with and I began cutting them down out to get to my finalised pairing.

I found this process quite hard as I loved all of the header typefaces that I have found as they all stand out to be as strong fonts that draw my eye and thats why im looking for if im creating a newspaper or a comic book style website.

I got my down to 2 typefaces the ‘Krungthep’ header font with the ‘courier new’ body-text and the ‘Chedros’ header font with the ‘PT Mono’ body text. I thought both of these were good strong header typefaces to go with and well contrasted body-text that I had chosen. To determine the typefaces that I would go for, for both the header and the typeface I created two mockup style article designs that would mimic the use of these typefaces as I would create a newspaper article or comic. The designs include a header/title subject, sub title and then some body-text.

This is the ‘Krungthep’ header font with the ‘courier new’ body-text both work really well in the style of design. I don’t think they clash against each other and they give me a good typographic hierarchy when breaking up the content that I’ve include. 

This one is with the ‘Chedros‘ header font with the ‘PT Mono’ body text. Both of these fonts together now that I put these into this article mockup I believe clash against each other as both are too bold to break up where the sub-header starts and the body text begins. However, I do really like the ‘Chedros‘ header font I think its fun and bold and catches my eye as a reader.

The finalised typeface(s)

I decided on going with the ‘Krungthep’ header font with the ‘courier new’ body-text as my finalised typeface for this project. This was because the header font to me is perfect to stick with the theme creating art work that focuses on the timeframe around the 60’s I think its a real funky typeface and reminds of the typeorgrpahy style used back in this era. Alongside the header font then the body-text of the ‘courier new’, the reason I chose this as my body text of the ‘PT Mono’ used above, was because I have the option of using this font in different weight which include, regular, italic and bold. This range of weights will give me the option when writing out my content to emphasises on certain aspects of the text something I wouldn’t have been able to do with the ‘PT Mono’. The ‘courier new’ also I think gives that idea of a typewriter style body-text something I would look out for in a newspaper from the period around the Apollo mission.