3D Literacy: Playing with shaders and starting to rig Gus.

I decided in order to pose Gus, I was going to have to rig him: When I attempted posing in blender it didn’t work well. Rigging was fairly simple, but the skin weights are going to give me some issues I suspect:

After I was finished, I tried posing out the character as it was, without any skin weights applied:

I’m actually pretty pleased with how the model looks even without skin weights: It’s not perfect, but it still looks pretty good, and I can only assume that after skin weights are applied it will be manipulated even cleaner.

I decided to pull in his props and cliff, just to further gather an idea of how this might look when it’s finished:

Again, I’m really pleased with these even without skin weights: I think they look pretty cute!

I also had a little look around at applying some toon shaders to my model, and looking at how those shaders might alter the appearance of the Gus:

I really love how these turned out, I think they look so cute but they also detract from a lot of the effort I put into the original texturing: I am going to try and apply the same look to the Sketchfab upload and see how I feel: I might even end up uploading both versions for review, just so that I am able to demonstrate both appearances and show that I did some experimenting and research.

I have used/will use the following tutorials and articles in order to research the toon shader look I am interested in when I am uploading to sketchfab:

Creating a Cartoon Outline for Sketchfab.

Simple Toon Shader for Substance Painter.