Environment Extras

So with that tree all done, my next task was to texture the rocks and path within the environment, basically the final touches before everything gets rendered out.

The image above shows the textures that I applied to the rocks and bushes. The textures work out well for what they are applied to, but the uvs of the rocks and bushes could be sorted out more thoroughly to give a clean and clear texture. However, I checked with the camera that is used for the animation and this angle doesn’t come up so I left them as they are as it would be unnecessary work for something that won’t be seen clearly.

There were also these other rocks that were placed in the environment, they’re flat so I went with a stone slab like texture, and I think it works well. It definitely compares well with the other rock textures.

For the path I first tried a dirt path but it didn’t look quite right for the setting we were going for, plus with the benches nearby I thought that two just didn’t go together in this particular instance. Therefore I then tried a stone path texture and I think it works out much better. I guess I could have gone with a dark concrete texture as well, but I got this one to work so I kept it. The UV’s were a bit of a problem. Whoever created this path did not make it easy whatsoever. I couldn’t honestly tell what the person was going for when they created it. Anyway, the model seemed to have sections to it, but I was unable to separate them easily. Therefore the simplest solution was to increase the scale of the UV Shell so that the texture looked appropriate.

To be honest I’m not quite sure why there is a path there, as it is hardly visible to the camera. Maybe I’m missing something about how this animation is happening, but my job was to texture the assets so that is what I did, and I have to say they look pretty good for all they’re being used for.

This image shows all the textured extras and the locations of the assets. I think it’ll look pretty good with everything in it.

Below are the textures that I used for the environment extras.