Vase Modelling

So, here we go, the start of 3D Modelling. It’s been a while since I’ve done some modelling so it’s gonna to take some getting used to again. Thankfully the first model homework is either a vase or a jug, so it wasn’t too bad. Also there’s a technique that I remember that would make this modelling a bit easier.

So instead of shaping a cube, I decided to use a curve too create the shape of the vase. It was going well until I hit a bit of a snag. I knew that what I needed to complete the shape was to use the ‘revolve’ funtion. It did what I needed it to do but the end result was a problem. The outside of the shape was black and the inside was gray, however it was supposed to be the other way around.

So, to fix this I found out, that all I needed to do was to click the ‘reverse direction’ function which did solve my problem and I could move forward.

After completing my first vase, I added some texture to it and created a couple more vases in different shapes and in different textures. I used the same technique to create them as I found this method the most handiest way to do it, plus it helped get me familar with the software again without having to do different things at this point. I had fun doing this and it is quite nice seeing a completed 3D model.

Another problem I came across was in the rendering of the final image. On the software it looked fine, didn’t seem to have any problems there, well expect for lighting but I just added some directional light to give me what I wanted so that was easy to deal with.

So the problem with the saved final image was apparently due to my save image settings. The default setting was on ‘Raw Image’ so I had to change that to the other option that I had available which was ‘View Transformed Embedded’. I wasn’t entirely sure what it would do, but it did fix my problem which was all that I needed.

This is the final image with all three of my vases. It actually doesn’t looked too bad. I am quite pleased with my result. I admit that they could be better, I could have possibly added a bump map on one of them, but hey, I created some vases and thats good enough for me.

These are the image references that I used to create the shape of the vases and the images I used for the textures.