Design a World – 500 word Reflection

Throughout this first semester, I’ve really enjoyed all aspects of the classes, especially this animation jam. In terms of what worked well throughout the animation jam, I think the character creation specifically went well as we had an abundance of characters to choose from to include in the animation in the end. It was also fun to do as well as with our world we were able to really stretch character design and come up with some weird and wonderful characters for our strange little world. As for what didn’t work well, I think my time management could have been better. I had work along side this course and I feel like I could have done better balancing the two to make sure I was using enough of my time to get all aspects of my coursework done sooner.

As we were working as a team for this animation jam, I learned that communication plays a big part in things going smoothly, especially with our group since it was pretty big. We had 10 people in our group and I feel like some people could have done more in terms of keeping in contact on Discord and letting everyone know how they were getting on. In fairness, I probably could have checked in more too and in future projects I will certainly try to. Nonetheless, I think our communication, for the ones who did talk relatively often, went well; questions were answered fairly quickly and we were mostly able to have good discussions about things online when we weren’t in person.

If I were to start this module all over again, I think I would aim to do more than what was asked of me for some of the homework’s and push myself more than I had. I feel like if I had, like with the colour theory homework as well as other homework’s, I would have more experience and more of an understanding of the topic. I would also have more work to show off to people that I’m genuinely proud of and I would be able to be more proud of myself that I have a better understanding of each topic than I did before I started the course.

To improve my animation practice, I think I need to practice backgrounds more so that I can get better at them and so that I can make more interesting ones in the future. I also feel like I need to practice lighting in the future too so that I have a better understanding of it so that I can effectively add it into my animations.

In terms of my animation, I think I would change my walk cycle at the end a little in order to make it look smoother and more realistic as well as the turn that comes before it. I would also change the scene where Eden is brushing herself off as it doesn’t quite look right. I think I would keep the rest of the scenes as I think they turned out fairly well.