The second project for 104 was to create an infographic. I originally had a hard time choosing what top do my infographic on. I had originally chose the topic of human settlement (including where people moved to most, immigration, emigration etc)
Sketches done below:-
(Critiques given- Don’t be afraid to make the infographic longer and add more key figures)
I still didn’t feel happy with my chosen topic so I decided to start thinking of new ideas and big issues in the world that needs to be addressed and that when I decided to do my infographic on human rights. I was very happy with this new idea and began to research it.
I then researched different human rights and issues that surround them.
- 40 million children below the age of 15 suffer from abuse and neglect.
- Every city with a population greater than 250,000 reports gang activity.
- Approximately 27 million people are currently enslaved in the human trafficking trade around the world
- More than 300,000 children under the age of 18 are being exploited as child soldiers in armed conflicts worldwide.
- Even though 2/3 of the world has abolished the death penalty, 1,591 people were knowingly executed in 2006 alone. The real figures of executions are likely much higher, 91% of these penalties took place in China, Iran, Pakistan, Iraq, Sudan, and the U.S.
- Millions of people are displaced in regions like Darfur where ethnic cleansing and violent conflict occurs. The displaced are forced to rely on humanitarian relief. Humanitarian workers are often kidnapped and attacked, and relief trucks are looted.
- Several governments monitor their citizens’ Internet use and have censored or imprisoned them for freely expressing opinions online. People in China have been arrested and charged for using the Internet as a tool to spread human rights information
- Armed conflict has killed 2 million children, disabled 4 to 5 million, left 12 million homeless, and orphaned more than 1 million in the past decade.
- There are approximately 246 million child laborers worldwide.
- Protestors of repressive governments across the Middle East and North Africa have been killed, beaten, and arrested by police in the streets for voicing their opinions of reforms
- Throughout history, women have been denied the knowledge, means, and freedom to act in the best interest of themselves and their children
- More than 167 countries are guilty of violating the human rights of its citizens.
(A few of the statistics and information that I found while researching)
I then decided to go into Figma and begin redesigning my infographic with a whole new sense of purpose