Week 2 + 3 // Animation Project

We focused more on our ideas for our animated short! On Monday we called before class just to go over a few of our ideas. We made moodboards and Janet had already modelled an idea for a ghost character! We came up with many:

I kinda liked the idea of it being like dark like someone at work and they’re so used to the usual day its so dull and then on the train or on a ‘journey’ they meet a friend/ partner and then everything seems to change colour? Similar to the book I read ‘The Sad Ghost Club’.

I also liked the idea of a mental journey it was the first think I thought of it and I was looking at photos and then I read Janet’s ghost train idea which gave me inspiration!

We shortened it down to one idea which was:

After this, we done more concept art and talked more about how we wanted to story to go. Unfortunately, I wasn’t in class this week to speak more about the ideas but I was kept updated on discord thankfully! We also organised another call to discuss and finalise our idea. In class, they made a word doc with the story sorted into ‘acts’ so we knew would would happen and around about the time it would happen:

These were the mood boards we came up with! We liked it having a similar vibe to ‘Wall-E’.

This was the quick concept art we came up with:

These were my quick sketched ideas for the train/ tram design and little ghosts! I also added in ghosts which I thought would look cool in the background.

For the train/ tram design, I made a mood board of different art which I really liked and wanted mine to look similar to.

Ellie had already made a mood board with the lighting that she had thought of which we loved!!

Miles had also sent in some photos for style inspiration which I liked:

Ellie had also mentioned us modelling in a ‘sketchier’ vibe with the outline tool which we all really liked the idea of!

I also drew a few scenes just to try experiment with lighting

Week 3, we done our presentation! Here is what it looked like:

“journey” – Google Slides

After this, we went home and I decided to make a quick 3D model of a ghost! I tried playing around with the emission setting with the lighting.

We then started working on our storyboards. We decided to call on discord and split up our main animation into acts, and then divide the parts. I wrote a quick document on word with the main storyline we wanted, and then colour coded it to split up the parts. Ellie is the blue part, I am the purple part, Miles is the yellow part and Janet is the green part!

This is what my storyboard looked like: