Source: Eun, C. 2023 (cganimator.com blog)

Topology plays a vital part in 3D modelling, as it not only determines how the model looks, but also how it behaves once rigged, animated and rendered. Defined as ‘the arrangement and connectivity of vertices, edges and faces withing a 3D model’ (Polywink.com, 2023), in simpler terms, we can think of it as how we correctly construct the geometry of our character.

While maintaining ‘loops and quads’ is not just as important when modelling hard surface props, they are essential when creating an animated character, as if not, the mesh of the model will ‘deform’ when it moves (termed ‘deformation of mask’), and pinch and/or wrinkle where the loops meet. Therefore, when both designing and modelling any 3D character, it’s imperative to think of where the loops are distributed throughout the body, such as down the extremities so that they bend properly, and in order to create a more natural-looking expression, around the eyes and mouth.

Creating models with good topology is also necessary when working as part of a team, or collaborating with others, as it ensures projects can be quickly passed on without issue, or confusion (Polywink.com, 2023).

Below is the completed model of the head I created using the processes taught to sculpt with clean topology during this workshop, which included using a mirror modifier to maintain the geometry of the face as I sculpt, and mask loops to help define facial characteristics. Using colour to map out the mouth, forehead, eye, and the cheek/neck areas is also a useful tool, as it enabled me to monitor their position when working on the model, and it made adding loops in the correct location much easier. It’s certainly something I’ll use when creating this part of my own creation.

Nevertheless, given that my chosen character isn’t human, and while quite realistic, the 3D bull’s head I’d sculpted in lieu of a detailed sketch as part of my character design has topology issues (and from what I’d read in previous blogs, if not modelled correctly, the retopology process can take an extremely long time), I have to admit that, at the start of the lecture, I felt quite concerned.

However, after learning that this basic construction process can be applied to almost every face, including that of animals, and the general structure just amended at a later stage, after completing the workshop, I felt much happier.

References:

Eun, C. (2022). 3dsMax 2023 Retopology 1.2 – Changsoo Eun. [online]. [Accessed 18 December 2023].

Image available at: https://cganimator.com/3dsmax-2023-retopology-1-2/

polywink.com (2023). Mastering the Art of 3D Topology: A Comprehensive Tutorial. [online]. {Accessed 18 December 2023].

Available at: https://polywink.com/en/blog/post/2-mastering-3d-topology