Here I am, in my first 3D Digital Literacy lecture, and I’m feeling enthusiastic, if a little bit apprehensive about starting my Blender journey because until now, I’ve never used any type of 3D modelling software. However, when I learned my first task was to make a simple table and chairs from basic shapes, any uncertainty disappeared and it was full steam ahead!

So, by following the tutorials closely, and by breaking the objects down into primitive mesh shapes, and adding a light source, here’s the end result – my first ever 3D model, and although rudimentary, on the whole I was happy with the size, height, weight, depth and position of the objects I’d created.

By now I was hooked, and growing in confidence, I decided to add a few cups and plates to help set the scene. However, in hindsight, the proportion of some of the objects does feel slightly off; the legs of my chairs are a tad too thick, and the cups too large in comparison to the plates. Therefore, if ever repeating the task, I’d make sure I rescale these elements to produce a better outcome.  Also, as attention to detail is important, the edges of the plates could also be smoothed.

Nevertheless, completing this first task has left me fascinated by the potential of the software, and eager to learn new Blender skills.