Week 1

For this semester, 4 animation students were paired with 4 games design students to create a game, for this week we initially got into our group and began coming up with one-page design documents. My concept was a horror/cute styled collectathon where you play a minor who needs to go into a cave on a beach to mine resources.

However, the concept the group ended up choosing was a game called “If you go into the woods” a 2.5D platformer where you’re a bird locked up by a hunter, and need to escape for him to get back home.

Our first task as a group was to create a “room” that the game would take place in, which was a difficult task within the first week, as we haven’t fully decided on the concept, and for the most part, we were still choosing which of the several concepts we were planning on picking, so I volunteered to start designing and making a cabin, as it fits with most of our concepts. This would give the group more thinking time and would allow the game design half to formulate a game project, seeing what would be possible to code.

First I started off with a base in Maya and simply using the extrusion tool, managed to create the basic outline of the house, where I could then begin to add details. 

Before I did anything else, I knew I needed references, so I went onto Pinterest and used “pure ref” I then collected several “abandoned cabins” and then adjusted my own cabin off my concepts, and began to work.

I went and created a porch, I felt as though it could add to the overall look of the house, making it seem like someone has put in the time and effort to get the house a porch would mean that it would at least feel lived in. 

Next, I added planks onto the side to make the house look like It was made out of wood, spewing the edges to make the wood look older or damaged, just by simply using the curve tool.

After that, I created some openings for some windows, which I could add borders to later. The last step would be to just create a door and borders for the windows, which I had based on one of my inspirations from Pinterest.