First Week

This saw the start of a new project, a short 30-second animation about “Adventure” I was put into a group of 5 people, and we each started by coming up with an idea for the animation.

I came up with the idea of the knight, and whilst It was given some praise, we ended up picking the snail assassin one, as the group felt as though it would be the easiest to animate and create, with the simple snail characters being easy to design and animate. With that, we worked on a rough storyboard in a group call and worked on the character designs in a Miro board, where we could all pull in different design cues from previous animated movies.

We were all tasked with different models to start the animation off, I was tasked with creating the mob bosses room, I volunteered for this task and quickly began work on the room, creating an illustration of the room first, I wanted the room to have a feeling of dread so I filled it with dark reds, and a trophy cabinet to sell possibly a collectors angle, as we envisioned the character being wealthy, I also placed a custom snail motif in the background, which I wanted to replicate.

Once I showed off the illustration to the group, I began work on the 3D model itself, first beginning with walls to get a structure of how big the room would be to a relative scale.

I then began working on the window. I wanted to put the snail shell detail in later as I knew that would take some time and I wanted to get the basic shape of the room down before I did anything too drastic.

Next, I began work on the cabinet, with a few extrusions, I was able to successfully make a base for the cabinet, and then quickly added it to the shelves. Again, I didn’t want to go into too much detail yet, so I just left it empty.

The next detail was the photo frame to the side, using the extrude tool allowed me to get the basic outlook for how the would look, and I would have a member of the group add a photo in later, I then added a hanger for the picture frame to give some added realism.

I then worked on the chandelier, which would be made up of 4 smaller lights, which I ended up recycling from the base cone, for the wires connecting the lights together, I felt as though I could have done a better job, and used the same technique as I planned to use for the shell shape in the background, however, this scene wasn’t going to last long, and the Lights probably wouldn’t have been visible, though I am planning on asking my group for feedback.

The final addition to the room is the table, which I wanted to give a unique look to it, so I gave it sunken corners. Overall I’m pleased with the progress so far I made on this model, however, once I get the snail models in I’ll need to make a few changes.