We did more exercises on flour bags with secondary animation today. Alec asked us to animate a secondary animation on a premade animation of a flour bag.

I drew some hair on my own flour bag and animated it being pulled by inertia and gravity as the bag jumped in the air in the exercise. The hair should be falling back from behind the flour bag as part of the follow through as the bag falls back to the ground.

I was taught that I should keep my line art sketchy and rough to get my key poses and in between, and then spend some time on the line art once I’m happy with how the rough sketches are turning out.

I also created a new version of my animatic. Since the concept was now to have our characters fight against pop culture icon characters such as Marge SImpson, my idea was to have my character fight against Paradox Pokemon Scream Tail and Iron Bundle from Pokemon Scarlet and Violet with an older Pokemon from two generations prior, Blacephalon. I looked into for part of it how a Blacephalon moved while it attacked using Mind Blown, and modified it due to the Blacephalon depicted being partially handicapped.

I went ahead and started animating and rendering out an early animation test of my individual shot for my group project.

For the scene where Notch, the Blacephalon fighting alongside my character, runs into view, I applied him reacting to inertia as he stops, showing him as a bit brash and clumsy as he awkwardly stops in place, and his frill still going as he stops shows I’ve applied follow through as well. The way I’ve made Notch squeeze his eyes tight adds a bit of appeal to his movements. The recoil from the inertia Notch feels also employs slowing out of his movement.

Slowing in and out is a very important principle to making characters feel expressive and life like, and very few things lack this feature, such as robots.

To utilise slowing in and out in 2D animation, we take two extreme poses, add one in-between and then draw multiple in-betweens between the extreme and the first in-between and then draw closest to the extreme until it looks good enough.

Correct slowing in or outs would be the whiplash a gun gets after shooting a bullet, or a ball bouncing back up after it his the ground.

6. Slow In & Slow Out – 12 Principles of Animation – YouTube

5. Follow Through & Overlapping Action – 12 Principles of Animation – YouTube