For Mike’s class this week, I modelled a Zubat and animated it flying around in a 3d space. I made use of several different techniques, such as subdivision and mirroring, to create the model, and used a Bezier circle path and constrained the model to follow it around.

I created the main body of the model by distorting a sphere into a pea nut shape, removing half of it and then using the mirror tool to create a replica that follows any changes made to the original piece. then, I used the knife tool to cut a mouth shape in the model and then extruded the inside of the mouth.

I made the fangs using cones, which I applied a subdivision surface tool to and then mirrored on the other side.

The wings were created using a plane primitive and Beizer curves that are then turned into meshes and merged together. They are then mirrored with the rest of the model.

Here is the finished animation.

Zubat Blender Animation – YouTube

Modelling the Zubat was quite difficult, as I was still learning many of the techniques to make modelling many parts of the creature easier. I also had some trouble parenting the finished parts after modelling them, as parenting them wrong could cause the parts to move incorrectly.

Animating was also a bit difficult, as having the Zubat move its body around a set path could cause it to break dance in mid-air.

Zubat is, by some distance, a pretty easy Pokemon to model at this stage of the course. I hope to model more Pokemon in Blander in the future.