IXD304: Visual Inspiration on the Apollo Space Programme

Moodboards

This week’s task was to gather visual inspiration for the Apollo Space Programme. This could be from books, movies, TV, or anywhere we find inspiration.

Books

First, I went to my local library and took these pictures from books about space. Doing this really opened my eyes to other sources of inspiration rather than just finding things on the internet. This is something I want to do more of.

This book is aimed at a younger audience, so it had a lot of imagery which I liked. This is something I want to do with my projects as pictures are one of the best ways to tell a story. The bright colours really caught my attention, and it shows how interesting and beautiful space can be.

I like that the information was put into small digestible pieces of text, this makes it easier to follow. The typography is also something that works well. The font for each title is consistent and ties in with the tone of voice of the book. The rest of the text is a San-serif font which is very legible. They also make important text stand out by making it bold or italic. These are all things I will consider in my project.

I also love the layout and how the information works around the images. This way, it’s easy to follow what information ties in with what image because it’s right next to it.

Movies

Next, I looked at some movie posters. The colour pallets are something that really stood out to me with these. Particularly, the Apollo 11 poster. I love the purple sky in the background with the silhouette of the rocket in front. The purple could represent bravery and mystery. This has shown me that not everything about space must stick to the stereotypical black, white, and grey colours. This has inspired me to experiment with colour in this project.

Imagery

I created a Pinterest board with different imagery to do with space. I will continue adding to this as I move through the project.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/lgilmore401/apollo-space-programme/imagery/

With these, I really took an interest in rockets and other space crafts. They are interesting to look at and I would love to find out more about the different types and potentially incorporate them into my project. I also found some nice illustrations which could be useful to refer to if I go for an illustrative approach.

Infographics

On Pinterest, I also found some diagrams/infographics about space.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/lgilmore401/apollo-space-programme/info/

I love these as they do a great job at telling a story in an easy to grasp way. For example, one of them shows the route a rocket takes to the moon and back, giving interesting information along the way. I also really liked the diagram of the spacecraft which is labeled. However, if I was to do something similar, I would make the labels stand out more as these ones blend in with the illustration. The typography on the other examples is clear and easy to read, which is what I want with mine.

Reflect

Overall, I found this task very useful. I think it is a good start to the project as I have gained lots of inspiration. From this, I have learned how beneficial it is to gain inspiration from multiple sources. Within each category, I found something new that I liked and a different approach to things. Therefore, this is something I want to carry on with future projects.