Vertical Slice Project – Assigning Roles, Style Bible

On Feburary 6th, we had a presentation to showcase our work so far to our classmates and lecturers.

We has a slight issue before this presentation – we had a team meeting and one of our team members from the Game Dev students was feeling very uncertain about our idea, so we had to have a discussion on whether or not we should change or not. Majority of us wished to stick with the idea, but our teammate got some feedback from our lecturer also to clear any doubts we may have. We ended up sticking with our gas station idea and proceeded with our presentation, showcasing our work so far.

Because our project was still in its early stages, I hadn’t much to do as part of my role as 3D modeler yet, as we didn’t yet know what assets would be required. I had no doubt I would be modeling groceries for the store, so drew some fake products as preperation for when I’m texturing products.

Lyndsey and Caity were our art directors, and so were in charge of creating the style guide for our game. Caity ended up creating majority of the concept artwork and was also the one who created the style guide. The style of our game ended up shifting in a different direction and rather than being like a low-poly PS1 game, it became softer and less creepy, something more along the lines of Animal Crossing.

Caity created an extremely helpful and concise style guide for our project. After a group meeting, we were all assigned items to model and texture. We each were assigned one “hero asset” – a hero asset would be important to the gameplay and would generally need to be animated also. I was assigned the till, therefore it needed to be able to open and close, fit models for cash and coins, and have space for UI.