Animation Development Project (Synced Sound Animated Short)

For this assignment we had to create a short 9-11 second animation synced to a sound clip/sound effects/music. We were allowed to chose to do either 3D with a supplied rig or hand drawn in 2D. I chose to do 2D.

The sounds in my clip consist of a voice line and several sound effects. The voice clip I decided to put at the beginning of the clip, which consists of the character Goku from Dragon Ball saying “Now you’ve made me mad”, followed by Frieza chuckling. This sound clip is followed by a sequence of Dragon Ball punching/impact and dodging sound effects. After this brief combat sequence, I decided to have Goku use his Ultra Instinct technique and then stack Super Saiyan on top of that, this meant I could use a sound clip of him screaming to power up and also add several other sound effects for the transformation… I also just really wanted to animate it. Finally the sequence ends with Goku blasting Frieza to bits, so there would be two sound clips for the energy blast, one being electricity sound effects and the sound of the blast itself is the sound of a seismic charge from Star Wars.

For the first shot of the sequence, the clip of Goku speaking, I didn’t actually use a reference image I just drew his face out of memory as I have been trying to practice that recently. Due to this it doesn’t look picture perfect but I thought it looked good enough. to sync the mouth with the sound I didn’t take a video of myself saying it or anything and there was no reference of his mouth moving (the sound clip was from a video of Dragon Ball soundboard effects so there was no animation along with it just still images), I just mouthed it out as i went along and started by drawing key points, for example at the end when he says “mad” his mouth will be fully extended downwards, in the middle when he says “you’ve” his mouth is in a more closed circular shape for the “oooo” sound, and so on.

For the following clip of Frieza he just chuckles so I just had a still image of him(I used a reference for drawing him because i have far less practice with him) and animated his mouth to form a smile, coinciding with his chuckle.

Frieza Reference for drawing:                                                                       Black Frieza Reference for colours:

For the fight sequence I rotoscoped a small part from the opening of the Ultimate Tenkachi games’ cinematic opening. For Goku this was easier because he is one of the characters in the clip so I could properly rotoscope it frame for frame. Frieza was slightly harder because he isn’t in the original clip and the character in the clip is wearing baggy clothes so at times it was hard to get the anatomy right but I got there in the end and think it looks fairly decent. I’d never rotoscoped in Krita before and the only issue I had was the initial file size, because importing in 64 full sized full colour frames was a lot for Krita to handle so i split it into 6 separate Krita files then combined my layers in a new file at the end. There was a tiny portion in the original clip where Goku throws a punch that gets blocked but I cut that out or else the clip would exceed the allocated time, also because I felt like him throwing a punch that gets blocked goes against the narrative of my clip, which I will explain at the end.

Reference Clip for rotoscope (0:34-0:38 of video) https://youtu.be/6kdOxt4dE9Q

In the same camera shot as the camera sequence, I animated the transformation which I found enjoyable. In the clip as he blocks Frieza’s kick, Goku goes Ultra Instinct then a moment after, shouts to power up and stacks a Super Saiyan transformation on top, followed by him blasting Frieza. I didn’t rotoscope this because I just used the last frame of the fight sequence and animated his hand when he lifted it for the blast and animated his mouth to sync the shout sound to it. My reference for the transformation was a really old and popular fan edit of Super Saiyan 5, but I didn’t directly use it, I used a reference image of Super Saiyan 4 and then coloured it with the same colour as the Ultra Instinct hair.

Super Saiyan 4 reference:                       Super Saiyan 5 reference:

After the animating was completed I imported the Krita files into Premiere Pro and from there added the sound and adjusted it so it lined up correctly to where it needed to be, then finally i rendered and exported the final clip as an MP4.

Finally to explain the narrative, in the Dragon Ball Super manga, Frieza recently acquired his Black form and easily defeated both Goku and Vegeta at the same time with a single punch, but after perfecting Ultra Instinct, Goku in theory will be able to stack a Super Saiyan transformation on top of it, so my clip is essentially him unlocking this transformation and defeating Black Frieza.

Final Animation: