#IXD104 – Critique Session & Changes

In week 6 we had a critique session where Paul and fellow classmates would critique and assess each others work by looking at our progression of three screenshots so far. I received excellent feedback with few critiques. This session was helpful to see where I am achieving and where I am lacking.

The class offered me positive feedback on my use of typography, artistic style, colour and overall presentation. Although some did comment on scale of certain things. When talking to Paul he told me my icons and navigational bar is too big and we discussed variety of ways I could make changes to the icon selection as I visually didn’t think it looked appealing with the white outline. We also talked about the last icon which was represented as a wheel for transportation was difficult to visually interpret it.

Making changes

(Left old / Right New)

Changes I made to my app:

• Changed the height of navigation bar from 175 pixels to 120 pixels (IPhone 6/7/8)
  • Downscaled the navigational Icons from 108 pixels to 75 pixels
  • Changed bottom navigational bar to a lighter shade
  • Removed wheel Icon as it was difficult to understand
  • Most frequently used icons are arranged to the left
  • Remove top navigational bar to make the interface less cluttered and more simple
  • Plane icon is removed and replaced with explore option to include other features
  • In navigational bar, selected icons are presented inverted rather than a white stroke
  • Changed primary green colour from a gradient dark green to a lighter static green, this matches the more bubbly artistic style I am trying to achieve
  • Interactive map was made smaller and added a booking page under it, this makes the page look more for what it was intended for.
  • Removed ‘zoom level’ icons and replaced it with a filter to select things on interactive map, (left hand corner)
  • Enveloped each page with a green rounded rectangle to connect the pages &  rounded the plane selection page as it was pointed and wasn’t in tune with the artistic style.

From this critique class I found out where I am succeeding and where I am lagging behind. This has been helpful for me to further develop and enhance my travel app. I am now more conscious about my sizing and scale as well as my use of creating universal icons and if I have to explain to someone what the icon is it wont work.