IXD301 – Elements Project Reflection

Overall I really enjoyed creating this e-book/comic book. I faced lots of challenges and learned lots of things with this project. I think I got to put into practise everything I learned in the lectures and got to relay my skills in a different way compared to the portfolio project in the first semester.

What did I learn/take from this project;

• I learned the importance of usability and how to test products
  • I learned that design differs when designing for kids and I had to learn how to do that
  • I got to write my first story/comic story which I have never done before, this was fun and something I enjoyed because it was a new skill I got to explore
  • I learned the importance of placement and type, for example text had to be bigger for kids to read etc.
  • I also got to learn how necessary it was to have group crits where people got to look at my work and help me make it better
  • I learned how to make a prototype on Figma

Challenges

• Prototyping – I experienced some problems with prototyping on Figma, sometimes it did not work for me and this was frustrating but I got it working in the end, exploring new parts of software can be tricky but it just took practise
  • Target audience – I also found it hard to write for kids, and alter my wording and approach because I am not use to this. I normally design for my age or above so thinking about kids and how they use devices was something new for me and tricky to get the hang of
  • Design – I found the design process for this project a little tricky because i felt it was never done, there was always something else to fix or change, the alter from book to comic style left me a bit flustered but in the end I think it turned out well, even though I think there is areas I could improve on.

Overall I really liked lots about this project and felt the challenges only made me a better designer, I loved creating the illustrations and sketching them out. I also loved putting it all together and transforming my story into a fun book for kids to read. I also enjoyed the aspect of changing it to a comic book because this allowed me to research and explore a whole new world that I have not seen before. I got to look into usability and test out my own book and that was fun to see but most of all I had a great time exploring creating a digital product that can be used.