IXD301 – Superhero Books Research

I wanted to get some more ideas on book covers, plots and or designs so I decided to research some current superhero books online and see what I could find. I found a few and thought I would firstly look into the design and or overall aesthetic of the books, here is what I found.

The Three Little Superpigs – Claire Evans.

This book is about three pigs who are superheroes and I thought the cover was really great and funny. When I seen the front I just wanted to read more and and find out who these super pigs were. I think that the colour palette is great and the pigs really appear super! I think that the title ‘superpigs’ could be in a nicer colour font however. I also feel the character development is strong and feel the pigs were really brought to life and appear to have great powers. I also liked how minimal the background was, it was just grass and the sky, so it doesn’t take away from the pigs – the most important part. This book has given me great inspiration and has really inspired my front cover for my e-book.

Ten Rules of being a superhero – Deb Pilutti

This next superhero book I found was called Ten rules of being a superhero, and when I seen this I thought the illustration was great. My e-book is going to be about people and kids not about animals so it was great to see a superhero design that is out right now. I like the bold and mixed type fonts for the title and also was intrigued by the 3d in your face superhero doll that is being lifted. The colour palette of blue and orange go really nice together, overall looks like a very interesting childrens book that a child would want to pick up and read.

Noahs superheroes – Sarah Miller

This superhero book is another plot genre – fruit and vegetables. It is a book to encourage young kids to eat their veggies and fruit. I like the idea of this but my e-book is not about animating everyday items or food but it was still nice to look into the idea. I really like the illustration style and feel the front cover is really eye-catching. It made me want to eat a piece of fruit too! I also like the health side to this book, it isn’t just a fun picture book, it is to make kids out there healthier and benefit them intellectually. This is what I want my book to do, help kids want to learn about science and the periodic table. I like the calming blue background on the front page, to really makes the brightly coloured veggie heroes stand out.

What did I learn?

• I learned that superheroes can be anything from pigs to fruit and vegetables
  • I learned that superhero books can be very beneficial for kids and can teach them about their health and how to lead a healthy lifestyle
  • I also became aware of current books out there that are about superheroes so I got some competitor analysis done which was very helpful in my research
  • I got some great ideas for illustration styles and even background colour ideas, I feel blue works really well.

Overall this research really helped me in my superhero book development and feel like I am more encouraged now to create a meaningful storyline that will educate kids and hopefully inspire them. I also think that I got a lot out of looking at the design of these books, and the illustration style. I feel I am really prepared now to start to think about my home screen page of my e-book with an exciting cover and well thought out and developed plot. I really found looking at these three different approaches to superheroes very insightful and it was great to see such an variety of concepts.