IXD301 – Digitising the Illustrations

I took to adobe illustrator for this because I find it the easiest to draw free hand on. I scanned in my sketches and went from there. I stared by creating the outlines of them and then filled them with colour. The image is a snapshot of my development throughout this process.

Outlines

The image about is all of the superhero’s together. I feel this outcome worked well and that Illustrator was definitely the best tool for this task. I was very happy with the result and actually considered leaving the illustrations black and white but then thought this was not a good idea because this book is for kids. And kids appreciate colour. The next step for me was adding colour.

Adding colour

The image below is the group collectively, I chose the colour from a kids point of few and kept it simple with colours they are aware of. I kept their suits the same so it looks like they are apart of a team. Then I added various other colours for their powers to brighten them up a bit. I also went for various hair colours like red, black, blonde and brown to give a sense of variety for the group.

What works?

• I think the overall colour scheme works well, a good addition of the primary colours too
  • The style is cohesive, they all go together
  • The size of the characters, they are proportional to the style and to each other
  • The lines are clean and the right width

Helium

H2O

Fluorine

Titanium

Silver

The images below are the final illustrations for each character (superhero). I am very happy with how they turned out and can’t wait to put the e-book together.