IXD103 – Interface Inventory

This weeks lecture was on style guides but after Daniel set us tasks to do for the day, these were to create an interface inventory for a brand of our choosing. He recommended it be the same company we chose to create brand guidelines for, however the company I chose for that does not have a website as it is a very local restaurant. So I chose Motel Rocks, I looked at this brand previously in a blog post for our content audit task that Daniel set us at the beginning of this module.

We have to screenshot parts of the brands website and show all of the interfaces inventory. I found this template online so I could display all my findings in a nice way. I then filled it in with all of the information I could find on motel rocks and everything they had available to me on the website. The images below are a few snapshots of the inventory and it can be seen in full here –Interface Inventory

What did I learn from this exercise?

• I learned all of the work that goes into a website and what is actually needed.
  • I learned that a website really reflects a brand in its’ entirety. For example if the website is of good quality then the products most likely are too.
  • I learned that even though I am not selling clothes I am selling myself through my portfolio, so my portfolio has to be just as high quality as my work.
  • I also learned that it does not take a professional to know what a website has or doesn’t have, the public can see if things are missing or not up to standards.

Thoughts

My final thoughts on this exercise was that I feel like it was really helpful and I now know all of the elements I have to include in my portfolio.  There are lots of parts and sections to include in any website and from seeing Motels inventory and how much it reflects the brands style I know that I too must be consistent with my website style and ensue it matches my work.