IXD103 – week 3 – Refining my word mark after feedback

NO GRID, SAME APPROACH:

MY ORIGINAL TYPEFACE:

feedback: Daniels thoughts were that the typeface was too regular and rigid in order to create the fun, bubbly tone of voice I was going for. It needed  more simplified elements to certain letters and he suggested using simple shapes and cropping them in different ways in order to create this.

THE PROCESS:

I created this second typeface as i felt my first one was too regular and created too much of a serious tone.  I think this was because i created it using a grid, whereas when i sketched out the letters above i used circles of varying sizes and placed them in more random places being more freehand and relaxed about it.

After feeling that the Bs were strange looking I decided to experiment with using only one B and sizing it up, however after doing this and getting input from others I decided I still wasn’t happy with the appearance of the B and decided to change it even more.  The E also was a different weight to the rest of the letters and so i changed it too:

These were my designs once i implemented the changed characters:

I liked this outcome above however when i asked for secondary opinions a lot of them expressed how the spaces in the B looked too much like the share icon.  I then changed the inside of the B once again to the following.  This is my favourite outcome so far; I think the tone of voice is exactly what I was intending and the letter  forms are interesting enough to incorporate them into other aspects of the brand identity.

FINAL REFINED VERSION: