IXD103 – week 3 – Feedback on my word mark

LINK TO MY BRAND IDENTITY SOFAR:

https://ulster-my.sharepoint.com/:w:/g/personal/buchanan-b_ulster_ac_uk/EfALyKhioONFmXz3ZPFJSY4BWVevfNAdMXtVYJkdrdD03w?e=dx0L6o

Improvements that could be made:

– could be made more abstract with less legible letter forms

– should take less inspiration from the original letter forms and more from geometric shapes

– in general I should create a display font that’s less legible and more personality driven – leaving out usual aspects of the letter forms.

– There’s a scope to creating more shapes in this same way that will allow for abstract icon sets to be made – or a code representing letters in an abstract alphabet.  I could use circles to cut out segments of different shapes.

Research:

– “House industries” – Type foundry that are less conventional in their creation of letter forms – will help me have a good balance because at the moment there’s a lot of detail and need for more geometric shapes

– “Non format” – They create typography for music labels and albums (with a more chaotic approach).

-David Bowies album designed by Jonathan Barnbrook – he created a wordmark using segments of a star that was then used throughout the identity in different ways.