While looking at reference designs for my character, I’ve realised that a lot of them were sea creatures trying to disguise themselves as humans. Instead I want to try and design a creature that disguises itself as a fish.

I liked this design at first but then I realised that I would’ve mostly just been sculpting a big fish and that the design of the actual creature itself looks a little boring. Posing it with the fish wrapped around its body also seemed a little complicated.

Instead, I kinda want to go with a similar design like this where I use the body of the first creature and then the head of the second creature. By making the head more fish like and having a tail on its head, I believe that since it’ll be walking at the bottom of the water, but somewhat close to the shore, other creatures will be looking down at it so it will look like a fish to everything else.

I have a better idea of how I want my character to look now and it’s story.

My creature disguises itself as a big fish so that it can lure in fishermen and eat them. Because fishermen may not be out during the winter, I gave my creature either an expandable stomach or a poach on it stomach so that it’s able to hold huge amounts of food that can do it for weeks. It’s huge humanoid body usually scares off predators, but some may also mistake it as a fish to which it’s able to defend itself with its huge claws. It can also eat fish if its desperate enough but it doesn’t really enjoy the taste of them, like how wolves can eat berries but they prefer meat.

Blockout

This is my simple block out for now but I will be adding more shapes to it while I’m sculpting it.