3D Room Illustrations – 31/03/23

room template video    (blank rooms, no illustrations)

I’ve had to upload all large videos as YouTube videos, as blog hosting only allows me to post videos that are under 50mb, and when I have tried to either compress it or reduce the file size, the quality loss makes it unusable.

3D Room inspired by Trevor Yardley-Jones’s blog post on https://www.behance.net/gallery/35184417/Crime-Zine. Tutorial from krokotacom/2017/06/how-to-make-a-3d-paper-house/. A much more complicated version is “Botticelli’s Bed and Breakfast by Jan Pienkowski, 1996. (PZ92. F6S65 1996. Brenda Forman Collection of Pop-up and Movable Books.” This was similar to a pop up book that I had as a child, and I loved the interactive element of it. For my illustration, I wanted to use black and white to start with as I was using the interactive element as development for my theme for childhood.

“The Children’s Room”. 3D Interactive Illustration, can be folded up into a small book and opened up to be three separate rooms. I used a 0.1mm fineliner as I was intending for the final product to be small. My scans came out rather pixelated as the item I was scanning was small, so if I was to repeat this I would either produce it digitally or use a larger square with a thicker pen link

Although I was happy with my final design, it could have been elevated by using colour and I had some difficulty with getting the right paper. If I was to do another version of this, I would create a colour version, as black and white was not as finished-looking as I had hoped. I used a square to draw on three of the quarters of the page, with one quarter folded underneath. The difficulty with folding was it often creased the paper too much, which destroyed the illustration on top by warping it or losing structural integrity either through folding it back into a book or by trying to flatten it into a room. The paper that I drew it on ended up being too pulpy, so when I was trying to stick it together, it ended up ripping off the layers of the paper rather than sticking. This was an issue that could have been solved by using better quality paper, rather than sketchbook standard. However, if the paper is too thick, folding the quarters together will make it impossible to re-fold, if it is too thin it will not fold back into a room, and using over 200gsm paper often results in difficulty folding the original illustration, as well as difficulty with the structural aspects.