Colour Group Work

This week in our groups we worked on adding colour to our world.

With this me and Tori used the Adobe colour wheel to think and create our first colour palettes for our world. We thought of a general mood palette as well as more specific ones for our locations (we only limited ourselves to 5 colours for each), and the thought for these choices were to have the human’s palette being more desaturated and cold toned to represent the isolation and for the demons to be a contrasting version of this (with a complimentary green to make his earring stand out).

Then Tori and I wanted to look for other colour palettes from life to experiment with and see what moods they had. The day was quite drab when we did these which made saturated colours brighter in contrast and the more monochromatic ones seem more solemn. Then once we picked out the main colours we decided on what we thought the colours reflected and also refined theses colours into 5 just like our own generated palettes.

After collecting all these colour palettes I went and decided to use them in my past tone studies as well as some other sketches to see what I liked the most and to see how this would affect what I thought of the designs I made.

First I overlaid the colour palettes from mine and Tori’s photo colour palettes. I really like how the Fresh Garbage colour palette uses these nice analogous colours that keep the warmth of the Hell location but the faded colours created a subtle desaturation so it doesn’t look unnatural to be as a statue. I also like the City Hall colour palette for opposite reasons, it lacks the warmth but creates a more monstrous look on the statue and makes it look more stone like and rustic.

Then I wanted to use the colour palettes that Tori and I made to add some quick colour to character sketches and location sketches to see if what we made actually fitted my designs.

I thought the colours for our human were a bit saturated so I just adjusted the same hues quickly to see if they fit better (seen below).

Just like with my human I reworked this colour palette a bit, I just wasn’t liking how the colours worked together with the one Tori and I made so I remade my own keeping the same idea of blues for the isolated and melancholic mood we wanted to set. I also added the warmer burgundy on the lamp to tie the demon and human together- we discussed that we wanted to have some sort of balance between them to be conveyed with colours and music.

We also started to think about how our characters would communicate when animated, and for now we have decided that there will be no voice acting but instead we will lean into the ‘show don’t tell’ idea and just have the character indicate with faces or gestures what they would mean.