IXD104: Travel App Icons Research & Development

For this project, I need to create icons that go along with a travel app. To start off the research I wanted to look at a few travel apps now to get an idea of what to do base it on :

Then I started brainstorming my ideas for the app:

After looking at many ideas I decided to go with a planning and booking app for vacations and day trips. I feel like Its really difficult sometimes to find the perfect holiday that’s in my budget so this app would be the app to help out. Also within the app you would be able to explore different options on where to go as there would be an explore page, which would give information like top 10 cities to go too or ‘festivals near you’. This would help people who are stuck with ideas on where to go next and to help people explore places they never heard before.

Then I started sketching out wireframes for the app before I got into looking at the icons as I wanted to get overall feel to to the app sorted before I started creating the icons. I also brainstormed ideas for the name of the app and came up with a colour scheme:

I chose ‘Easy Explorere’ as the name as I think it suits that aim of the app the best as the name is quite self explanatory and its also easy to understand and remember. The colours I want to go for is pink, blue, green or yellow and coral. These are ver bright colours but I feel like it goes with the app as I want it to give off a fun and exciting vibe.

Next, I went onto Figma and started to create my wire frames:

After getting feedback in class, I decided to fix the apps logo on illustrator and also change the frame to another iphon model as it the frame I used was making the colours darker. I also made two moe screens for the ‘top 6 cities o visit, to show what the other cities would look like.

The first logo:

The updated version:

The updated screens:

Now that I have the wireframes sorted I need o to create the icons. Firstly I want to look at examples of icons in the apps that I use on daily basis, such as Instagram, Pinterest and VSCO. After looking at examples on my phone I drew out 3 sets of different style icons that I thought would suit my app the best.

After choosing my icons I went onto Illustrator and made them:

Then I put them onto the app screens:

Overall, I really like how the icons turned out, I wanted to keep them very minimalistic and easy to recognise and I think I did just that. The app itself isn’t the most creative idea I could have come up with. I have so many better ideas now but I stuck with this one, as I like the overall vibe to it such as the colours and logo.