Week 3 Homework – Digital Literacy Homework

Oh boy this week was hard:

This was my own attempt at the snake, and I was actually fairly pleased with it! I used the following Youtube Video in order to get an idea of how to start sculpting the branch:

When I presented it to the channel, MIke suggested that perhaps it needed to cling tighter to the branch – I agreed with that, and tried to manipulate the snake a little more, bringing it closer to the branch:

Honestly, I don’t think it looks particularly great – the snake looks a little lumpy, I could have done a better job at smoothing out the bumps. Overall, I’m not particularly happy but, the fact that I even knew how to sculpt this is a big achievement. Two weeks ago I didn’t know how to sculpt anything! So I have to keep the little wins in view! Next time, I’ll try to do a better job and have my model a little smoother. I’d also love to present some more low-poly sculpts, as I really love how it looks.

I also attempted the roller skates, however this was a bit of a fail. I tried sculpting this independently after watching the following speed-model:

It didn’t go particularly well, to be honest – I think by going in for a very realistic view, it stumped me a little when it got to sculpting the more technical parts of the model, namely the wheels and the front-break. I just really had absolutely no idea where to go with it, and the boot I sculpted did not look good or correct. But, I tried:

After realising this approach wasn’t really working for me, I tried going for a more cartoon styled approach after watching a speed model of a fairly simple shoe:

I didn’t follow this section by section, I just used it to get an idea of where to start and went from there:

Honestly, still not great – these actually make me laugh a lot, they’re a bit silly looking. But, it’s a roller skate – I think at least that much is clear? And I’m happier with it than my first attempt.

I’m pretty underwhelmed with my efforts this week, however after testing positive for covid last Thursday I have been incredibly fatigued and sick which caused me to sleep a lot. I also have a presentation due this week. Both of these situations have meant I haven’t had a lot of time to dedicate to modelling this week – not as much as I had last week – so I’m trying not to be too hard on myself. I’m still super determined to improve upon my modelling skills, hopefully next week holds more achievements for me and will be overall more satisfying! Very hopeful that I am negative for covid so that I am able to attend my classes in person.