CV & Cover Letter

CV & Cover Letter

This blog is where I will put inspiration, sketches, feedback, process and final design of both my Cv & Cover letter.

Final CV: CV-Katie McWilliam 2

Final Cover Letter: Cover Letter- Katie McWilliam

CV

A CV is a concise, formal document that summarises your education, skills, qualifications and experience. It should be easily read and referenced and explain who you are. CV is an abbreviation for Curriculum Vitae and is a latin term for ‘Course of Life’

In a Cv there are 7 basic things you should include for future employers. These include:

1. Contact Details
  2. A Short Bio
  3. Skills
  4. Work Experience
  5. Education
  6. Awards & Additional Info
  7. References

Content for CV

1. Contact Details:

Email: katie.mcwilliam6@gmail.com

Telephone: 07548637418

Address: 173 Hillhead Road, Ballyclare

Socials: Instagram @kteadesigns       Twitter @katie.mcw

2.  Short bio:

Hi, i’m Katie, I have been studying in the design world for 4 years so far and I have grew my skills and knowledge hugely. I have a massive interest in user interface design and the psychology behind users experiences with a product or service. Currently I haven’t any job experience directly within this industry but have experience working with clients and working to a brief. I have learnt many vital skills throughout my other jobs that I have worked which will help me throughout my life.

I am a keen learner who strives to succeed in this industry. With my designs I aim to help users and make their lives easier without them even acknowledging it.

3.  Skills:

Soft Skills:

• Time management
  • Communication
  • Collaboration skills
  • Independant
  • Adaptable
  • Dependable
  • Positive attitude
  • Can work under pressure

Hard Skills:

• Design theory
  • Colour theory
  • UX/UI
  • Visual design
  • Illustrator
  • HTML/CSS

4. Work Experience

The Clarence (Chip Shop)- Food Server2018-
From my previous job I transferred the skills onto my current job and have further developed these skills. I can now happily and easily work in a team as well as independently and enjoy meeting new people. From working here as well as McDonald’s I know how to keep calm under pressure whilst carrying out the tasks needed. This job entails me to prepare, cook, wrap and serve food to customers as well as effectively communicating with them face to face and over the phone. I also have good experience with handling money and the till.

Belsonic (Festival)- Bar Staff 2019
For a couple weeks in summer I was hired on a part time contract to work at Belsonic to serve drinks at the festival. I would serve both soft drinks and alcohol to customers as well as handle money. This was a very fast paced job and had to keep calm under pressure with the constant demand to be served by customers.

McDonald’s- Crew Member 2017-2018
While working here I learnt many things such as teamwork, independance, how to work in a fast paced environment and how to control working under under stress. as well as learning good hygiene standards . I would prepare and cook food, as well as wash the dishes and mop the floor. This was good experience for me as this was my first job and from these skills I learned I could take them into the future for my next job.

5. Education

University of Ulster (Belfast Art School)
BDes (Hons)- Interaction Design
2021-
Northern Regional College
Level 5 HND- Web and App Development
2019-2021
Northern Regional College
Level 3 BTEC- Creative Interactive Media
2017-2019

7. References

Aaron Colton
Previous Course director NRC
Aaron.colton@nrc.ac.uk

Kyle Boyd
Course director Ulster University
ka.boyd@ulster.ac.uk

Jillian Stronge
Owner of The Clarence
07864 106937

Sketch

First Design

Final Design

From feedback from Daniel I changed the whole layout of my CV. I kept the lines that I previously had but included the headings on the left hand side and the body text on the right. I included in my address, email and phone number as well as social media links and my website Portfolio link. I added a small bio about me and referees. I also took the advice to include the latest education or work first and the oldest last. This is because the more recent is more relevant.

Daniel also suggested to make my name a little smaller as it was taking up a lot of the page, he said to include more links and ways to contact me so I included my address, phone number and link to my portfolio.

Overall I think that my Cv looks professional and fits for its intended purpose. It gives an insight into my education, work experience and skills surrounding what i’m applying for. It is easily read and understood and can be easily scanned to find what the potential employer is looking for.

Cover Letter

A cover letter is a document that is often sent with your CV when you are applying for job. A cover letter is a personal introduction and helps to sell your job application, it explains to the employer why you’re the best candidate for the job. It also allows you to explain what attracted you to their company and why you want to work there. It’s an opportunity to summarise what you’re good at, your experience and any aspirations you may have that link with what the company can offer.

Sketch

Final Design

Overall I think that my cover letter looks professional and it is consistent with my CV. I’ve used the same font as well as keeping with a similar style and layout.