Speed Drawing Exercise

This week we conducted a quick speed drawing exercise. The aim of this task was to sketch a list of objects on paper within different sets of time (20 seconds, 10 seconds and 5 seconds). These objects were simple, representing icons you might encounter in an app or site prototype design. By doing this task, I was able to break down the design into a more simple sketch each time. The final set of sketches were rough, however you could still tell what they are supposed to be. This exercise also taught me that sketches don’t have to be perfect, in fact – they should be rough. You shouldn’t spend too much time making these initial sketches and ideas, that may not even be used in the final design of your project, look good on paper. The most important thing is that they are comprehensible.

I also began to think about the different ways I can record my ideas and design methods. I’ve used a digital sketchbook with my iPad in previous modules, but I think I will stick with paper in the future. It’s quicker to draw on paper, allowing me to come up with even more sketches.