Today we did a presentation in the morning where we pitched out ideas to the Lecturers on what to do with this project.  I ended up doing most of the talking this time.  I presented it as being set in an Arcade with a slightly ’80s aesthetic – although as I came to realize, some things I mentioned were from a Mandela Effect rather than necessarily something that was actually discussed (i.e. we didn’t talk about it being in an ’80s style arcade.  Just an arcade).

Lecture notes:
-play with mechanics of the claw machine
-no character arc
-have the set mainly inside the machine

Some of us started to design arcade machines – I made 1, but didn’t texture it.  I then started to investigate some ideas for the Claw.

and created some ideas that, for better or worst, weren’t considered.  Such as this 1, which was deemed a bit scary.

Then this 1 – which…lets be honest, it’s not very good and it won’t be pleasant to animate.

So back to the drawing board, I put together a few more concepts based on shape.  I considered how the likes of Pixar would manage to put a face on everything, and that’s what I looked to create.

I then developed toy concepts that still used the head concept before, but perhaps make it closer to a Rice Ball or Igloo in shape.

So, as you see, I was playing around with shapes in Blender, and I’m still trying to figure out some of it.  I thought trying to create the Tiger Head concept and any shapes that could be replicated would be a way to go.

I’ve also come to enjoy using Subdivide on various square structures full of extrudes.  I tried to create a bird, and after showing it to the team I was told it left an unintended impression.  Especially around the beak.

We then went back to the whiteboard – and despite having scripts and storyboards already done, we decided to start all over again – and make it simpler.

During the week after this class, I decided to create an Animatic (similar to what we did for the Ani-Jam in the last semester).  I based it on Andrea’s script, and managed to more or less keep it within 30 seconds – however, the timing may end up a different story when everyone gets involved.