ixd304 week 02

This week’s lecture is on Typography (Macro, Micro). Typography exists to honour content, the web is 95% typography. How we read on the web isn’t how we read in real life, we scan the web. Therefore because of this it’s important to consider headings, subheadings, and putting your content at different font points. It’s important to ease the reader in and make the reading enjoyable. We then looked at design for reading, which is a topic I found interesting as most decisions you make with your typography will either make the content easily read or not approachable. When you design for reading there are a few things to consider/remember.

• focus on body copy
  • comfortable point size: 15-25px
  • consider leading
  • maintain measure
  • select the typeface

Body copy should be stable and comfortable. The font shouldn’t get in the way of reading. Scale can used to determine typographic hierarchy. A few sites suggested to try when type scaling – type-scale.com , modular.scale.com.

When choosing and pairing typefaces I find I’m not very great at this, from this lecture there was a few points that I found useful that I think will help me when choosing my typefaces for my project

• titles and subtitles = standout
  • body copy = subdued
  • mix sans and serif – can work well
  • look at references – typesetting in books, Adobe Fontkit

This week I need to focus on marking up then typesetting the content on Apollo, my typeface choices and considering navigation. I also need to continue on with my research and inspiration as I’m not entirely set on a topic to focus on. I have also listened to some podcasts since about Apollo, the space race and the disaster of Apollo that I want to discuss further in my research.

Typesetting the Content

Below I have taken some of the content into Figma and started to edit and layout the text. I then each section into frames the dimensions of a general eBook. I want to try to set the content in the layout of a physical book, so having the headings set like the chapter headings, paragraphs laid out similarly.

Edited Text on Figma

Below is how I tried to typeset it like the layout of a book. At the moment I’m finding this a little challenging and not sure if I’m going in the right direction with this especially since I’m still not fully settled on a topic to focus on. I think I need to ask some peers and maybe get a quick tutor tutorial to get some feedback.

Link to Figma file click here

Choosing and Pairing Typefaces

I researched into what font was used most for an eBook and found one was Baskerville. So I looked at different typefaces that were more like book text. I looked at two, Book Antiqua and Baskerville Old Face. I then went on to look at some space themed typefaces. I ended up looking at Coda and Space Mono, I also included the type I tend to go for most often which is Montserrat. After looking at these all and changing the content to the chosen fonts, I started to really like the look of Space  Mono as it gives the look of code/an old typewriter. I really liked this as I think I want to keep my body copy more old style and like a book but I wasn’t too keen on Baskerville or Book Antiqua. I then paired Monserrat and Space Mono together just to experiment as I learned in this week’s lecture that mixing sans serif and serif can work well when done right. I really like the outcome of this pairing as it gives the feel of like a movie script in an odd way and I think its a good balance of an old style like Space Mono to fit the type of content being used and a modern feel and look to it with the use of Montserrat

Pairing – Monserrat (headings and subheadings) and Space Mono (body copy)

Link to Figma file click here