Following up from the poster drafts, I began looking to designing my CV and business card. I mostly looked at references for them, as I wasn’t sure how exactly I wanted to present them. I knew I liked the idea of a “character file” for my CV, but truthfully I was struggling with the layout. I decided to leave the CV for now, and deal with it later. A business card too, would be easy enough to create, as I just wanted to use my own art for it, particularly a piece I was proud of. Instead, I looked at how my display would look.

I didn’t really have many ideas, however, I thought back to secondary school, when in Art we usually had to make displays of similar nature. Most of the time, we would pick our favourite pieces to stick up on the board and call it a day, while our sketchbooks had our other work. I wanted to do something similar, a call back of sort to those days. Only, the boards for our project were much bigger than I thought. I rectified this by buying three mounting boards, which I would put up over the board instead.

I wanted to go for a graffiti type of display, for no reason other than Belfast is known for its graffiti, but this idea got accidentally scrapped when I decided to use pastels. I drew the MC and Anxie, MC with pastels while an eyeball overlooks her, and Anxie with acrylic paint. I used some cut up coke tins for his teeth, because I thought that would be a cool look.

(board 1 and 2)

(character board and final board layout)

I bought black table cloth too to sit on the table; I cut it up also, and threw it over the top of the board so it dangles, in an attempt to look like tentacles. They weren’t very secure with cello tape, so it was with blue tack and a prayer that I was able to stick them to the board. I also had a third board, where I put introductions to the characters and also a meet the artist/explanation of the project section. I put the two characters on cardboard which I then stuck to the mounting paper, which was a bad idea because they kept falling. In the end, I had to put it flat on the table instead, but that did work out as after I put the poster on the board, I had no room for it. I thought the final display looked a bit too bare bones, and very last minute, decided to make a scrap book of my favourite art pieces, but from everything I’ve done – not just the major project, so it would be more like a portfolio.

Since it’s a portfolio project, I made a show reel comprised of shots/designs from the project. This would be played on the monitor by the display.

Unsure of what I want to do for the future, I did some base research on character design. I would like to go down that career path, but I think I would have to wait a while and get a better grasp on anatomy and storytelling. For now, after graduation, I would like to work on personal projects I’ve been stewing on for a while now, like music videos, and see where I go from there.

I never ended up continuing the CV, but I liked the end idea I had and could use it in future if needed. I made a business card too, but never printed it for the physical EOYS.