Week 1:

Luz – The Owl House

I wanted to try and re-create Luz from the owl house as I find the overall style of the show to be very appealing and when looking for references I wanted to make sure to use a more dynamic pose to help me break out from drawing more here looking more static and flat when I attempt to re-create her after first deconstruction her form. As for the re-draw I think I did good re-creating the overall look of the show and the character Luz as she is portrayed in the reference image however I would need to practice drawing the character more before I’d be able to properly pin down her design.

Marceline – Adventure Time

Next up, I decided to draw Marceline the vampire queen from the show adventure time. Although the overall style of the show is fairly simplistic I felt that trying to break down into its construction lines may help me learn how to create designs of my own that, simplistic, appealing and easy to animate. I chose this reference of Marceline because I believed that it was dynamic enough to show off the nuances of the style, for example the with the rubber-hose style limbs and usage of more round shapes found within the designs. When trying to re-create the look of the Adventure time style I needed to make sure that I had more strong and confident lines to make sure the limbs look consistent with that of the show’s. I think the re-draw looks like a good intimation but would need some changes to fit with the reference of Marceline for example with the shape of the body the size and shape of the hair along with the size and shape of the boots.

Donatello – Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Finally I chose to break down the form and shape of Donatello from the show Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I wanted to break down a character from this show because I really enjoy how the creators gave the characters a lot of sharp lines and a lot of edges, almost being somewhat the opposite of something like Adventure time with their use of soft lines and curves for their characters. I chose to draw Donatello due to the fact that he isn’t much different in terms of body shape compared to Michelangelo and Leonardo but his armor, belt and goggles help differentiate him from everything else in the show and give him a strong silhouette.