Animated Narratives 

This assignment was a roller-coaster. I started off really wanting to do my best and contribute a lot into something I was passionate about. Unfortunately, things didn’t turn out the way I would have liked. I find that time management is my biggest enemy and it was no different in this project than it was with any previous projects I’ve taken part in. I found that the whole of semester 2 I had trouble really connecting with my group and finding joy in my work, not because I was working with people I didn’t like, but because I was putting a lot of pressure on myself to make something “perfect”. This lead me down the path of putting off work till later and ultimately left myself very little time to achieve my goal of producing something I was proud of. I’m struggling with anxiety and depression, and I think it really slowed me down and made any work seem like the biggest task to tackle to the point that I avoided it.

On the brighter side, I did really like the group and the concept of our short. Kaz, Lel and Manny are all incredible and were so lovely and patient with me. I really appreciated their support throughout this assignment, and I love our silly little bees. Towards the end I started to enjoy seeing the layers of work growing and starting to look like what we had planned from the start. I think seeing it become something really pushed me to finish the animation and although it’s not “perfect” I do like how it came out.

Going forward, I think I need to be more open from the beginning when I start to feel overwhelmed so that I don’t struggle alone. This will help me see that all the little tasks, when chipped at one step at a time, means that I can feel less stressed and in turn allow me to produce my best work, whilst being happy.

If I could change anything, it would be to make a bigger effort into talking to my group do that there is a better understanding between us. Overall, I glad to have made it through and to have this project finally completed.

First Year

I learned a lot this year. Not just about animation but about myself. Going to Uni was a big change which I do not regret. I had many, many, many ups and downs but I was able to push through and I’m really proud for that. Previously, I was in a place that I didn’t enjoy being so the transition to being in such an open and healthy environment really surprised me. Getting into animation has been big goal for me and it honestly feels so surreal that I’m working my way towards that goal. I’ve meet so many lovely people here and it makes me really happy to know that I get to have this positive experience. Overall, I happy with my first year experience and I can’t wait to come back in second year.